4th of July Safety Tips: Always good to review!
This Fourth of July, many plan to travel, fire up the backyard grill or enjoy fireworks. The American Red Cross offers a series of steps everyone can follow to safely enjoy the holiday weekend.
Here are five safety steps for people setting fireworks off at home:
- Never give fireworks to small children, and always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
- Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight “a dud.”
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
- The best way to enjoy fireworks is to attend a public fireworks show put on by professionals.
The Red Cross offers these five things everyone should do to stay safe while traveling:Do not drink and drive.
- Buckle seat belts, observe speed limits.
- Pay full attention to the road – don’t use a cell phone to call or text.
- Use caution in work zones.
- Clean the vehicle’s lights and windows to help the driver see, especially at night. Turn the headlights on as dusk approaches, or during inclement weather.
Here are several steps to safely cook up treats for the backyard barbecue:
- Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use.
- Never grill indoors – not in the house, camper, tent, or any enclosed area.
- Make sure everyone, including the pets, stays away from the grill.
- Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, the deck, tree branches, or anything that could catch fire.
- Use the long-handled tools especially made for cooking on the grill to keep the chef safe.
More tips are available on the Red Cross Emergency smartphone app, which combines more than 35 emergency alerts to help keep the user safe.
A second mobile app called “Monster Guard,” teaches kids to prepare for emergencies at home by playing an engaging game. Users can find the apps in smartphone app stores by searching for the American Red Cross or going to redcross.org/apps.