Owning a home in Portland or Vancouver has its own unique challenges and opportunities. The rain, the sun, and the rain (again!) means that your Homeowner’s policy should be tailored to your property’s unique setting. And since our homes are often our sanctuary in a hectic world it is crucial that we protect them the best we can afford. Regardless of the value of your home in and around the Portland Metro area, a homeowner’s policy is necessary for the protection of your personal property and also your personal liability exposures.
A homeowner’s policy in Washington or Oregon covers not only your dwelling and personal property, it also includes liability insurance that protects you in the event that someone is injured or their property is damaged by you, your family, or your pet. In addition to protection for your home, there are several other types of additional insurance you may purchase that will cover a variety of things such as floods, earthquakes, jewelry, art, antiques, and special collections.
Without a plan, you may be over-insured in some areas and under-insured in others. With that in mind, our Biggs Insurance agents will work with you to customize the best coverage possible to protect the financial security of your family. That’s what we do best.
Time to think about winterizing your home…see below for tips to keep your home in tip-top shape.
- Have your furnace inspected and don’t forget to change your furnace filter.
- Inspect the fireplace damper for proper opening and closing.
- Clean out gutters and use a hose to spray water down the downspouts to clear away.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and replace the batteries.
- Drain all garden hoses.
- Insulate exposed plumbing pipes.
- Leave your heat set to at least 55 degrees if you go on vacation.
- Locate your water main in the event you need to shut it off in an emergency.
- Trim trees if branches hang too close to your house or electrical wires.
- Keep matches/lighter, candles, and flashlights on hand in case of power outage.